Joanneum Bicentenary, 2011
2011 was dominated by the Joanneum Bicentenary celebrations. Since the Joanneum was founded by Archduke Johann in 1811, we have developed into the largest universal museum in Central Europe, offering a broad, diversified spectrum of culture and knowledge presented in line with the best modern museum practice.
Each month in 2011, the Bicentenary Programme spotlighted one of our museum locations while at the same time linking up the various departments of the Joanneum thematically. Our aim is to put the Joanneum across as a vital, integral whole, reflecting the different functions and roles of museums in our global culture.
A highlight of the Bicentenary Programme in 2011 was the opening of two new locations:
The Cultural History Collection in the new Museum im Palais (opening on 11th May) transformed the former imposing Palais Herberstein into a “Treasury of Styria”, in which numerous cultural treasures such as the Styrian Ducal Hat are on public view.
The new Joanneum Quarter welcomed the public for the first time on 26th November with the re-opening of the Neue Galerie, and the Multimedia Collections. The Styrian State Library also found a new home in the Joanneum Quarter, which will be fully completed as a new cultural district with the opening of the Natural History Museum in 2013.