The historical collection features a wide range of subjects:
- Invertebrates: focusing on the Styrian Basin (Neogene), Northern Kalkalpen (Mesozoic), and the hill country of Graz (Palaeozoic).
- Vertebrates: Styrian Basin (Neogene), Styrian caves (Pleistocene).
- Palaeobotany: focusing on the Cenozoic in Styria and Slovenia.
- Rocks: regional geological collection; systematic collection of igneous rocks; decorative rock collection.
- Deposit collection: focusing on Styria.
- Mining history collection.
- Styrian drill core archive.
The specialised library with historical books, numerous international magazine series, and an extensive collection of offprints also features a collection of geographical maps. Among other tasks, the provincial geology and mineralogy service administers a wide-ranging archive of unpublished reports and expert opinions along with a database of quarries, sand pits, deposits, landslides and well locations in Styria.